Friday, February 6, 2015

Just Breathe

 And that is what I am trying to do in the midst of this very snowy, icy, windy , and COLD weather we've been having pretty consistently. Although I consider myself a positive person, some days it's hard not to want to hide from the winter...

 I try to bring myself around by playing in my art room, using lots of color and usually it helps.
That, and some new books with new techniques to play with, and of course, new art challenges on blogs. How do YOU manage during your "down" time?

 This is the journal page I turned to for playing with another technique in Dina Wakley's newest book. I covered a blank page with a Gelli Plate printed deli paper print.


 My completed page. I used techniques from pgs. 78, 79 about creating negative space and cutting back a busy background.

 I also played around with my inner Picasso using this website. They offer a variety of face, hair, nose, eye, mouth, and ear shapes and you drag and click your personal choices onto a "page". You must try it!!  I printed mine and then transferred it to a journal page and this is the page completed:


 I used some old Hero Arts shadow stamps along with ink pads to make the color blocks. The little squiggly marks are also old rubber stamps. I added the sentiment- "she channels her inner Picasso".

 Linking this post to Art Journal Journey, Art Journal Every Day, Express Your Creativity, and Paint Party Friday. See you there!

 This is the quote that's scribbled on my journal page at the beginning of the post:

  "Breathing in, I calm my body. Breathing out, I smile. Dwelling in the present moment I know this is a wonderful moment."      Thich Nhat Hanh





29 comments:

  1. More inspiring artwork, Linda! I look forward to your Friday posts to see what you've been up to during the week. And, I am trying to be patient with this winter weather, but it is not easy. By this time of the year, it really gets to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work Linda. Its good that you are using your cold weather time so productively

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic work again! Thanks for joining us at AJJ! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far I am enjoying the weather. I am in Baltimore and we so far have avoided the 6 feet snow of Boston etc. Your Picasso inspired portrait is really fun. I think I might try something like that. How do I manage my down time? I have a lot of down time. I have more down time than uptime.....so I am never that stressed! Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous pages Linda. I am especially in love with the second one. I have Discovered a's first book. Maybe when I am back I should take a look at her second one.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your journal pages, and yes ~ art is such God Medicine!
    Fun Picasso inspiration too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work!! Yep art is the best cure for anything!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful artwork Linda! Amazing !
    Wishing you a great weekend!

    Thank you so much for being with us at AJJ again..
    so great to have you with us Linda!
    xxx
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you are using the old Masters as your springboard. Great paintings. And the warm colors should warm up your spirits if not your body. About being first in line this week, I have to stay up till midnight and then race to get my PPF entry posted. I can't do it every week but occasionally I'm up there in the first few.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pages, love the colors!!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy cold, cold weather because it gives us the space to play as you have done here.
    I especially like your middle piece - minimalist but decorative.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are all great, that blue piece with the butterfly is a favourite, it's full of the promise of Spring! Meanwhile all the best for Winter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love them all Linda but especially the Picasso. Enjoy the Winter Linda. It will be over soon and then be extremely hot.:) I prefer Winter. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice pieces the inner Picasso is quite interesting

    Happy PPF

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful journal page, love the pattern against the blue background. Here from
    Balzer Designs link-up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so much fun. I especially liked the Picasso style picture. And your quote works just right for me this week. I will be practicing that. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good fun....and excellent results. Picasso is great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like this job, exquisite creativity! Delicious technique!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great transformation on your journal page!!! Hope you are staying safe and warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great pages Linda! It is cold here too, but hope it is getting warmer so slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful and I love piccaso style...so fun! Take care in the snow...as long as I am stocked up on what I need I am fine staying home for days...

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very inspiring. I particularly like the second one. The flowers flow across the page so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That inner Picasso of yours is cool!
    When I'm down I do something. Otherwise I can't get out of the circle of 'down feeling'. Action is better than just be (for me)....

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fun technique with the Picasso style drawing! Yes, playing with colours is definitely a perfect way to beat the winter blues...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your quote, Linda. It is so true. And I think the artwork you are doing is the best thing to do when you are a little down, struggling with that cold and snow. Close your eyes . . . I am sending you some warmer Florida breezes . xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your pages Linda..... Spring can't be far away :)

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!